Winter Park is one of the safest, most scenic areas in Central Florida for commuting or transit. Whether you are heading to class or want to ride a bike trail, Winter Park makes commuting a breeze. Perhaps you are in between vehicles or want to try something new. Take note that some of these methods of transit do involve being outside for a considerable amount of time. Because we are in Central Florida, be mindful of the heat and humidity. Limit any transit that exposes you to the elements such as biking or walking. During the summer months, make sure to wear sun protection, sunglasses, hats, sunscreen and carry plenty of water. Read on for our quick guide on commuting and transit in Winter Park.
Biking is one of the best ways to get around, whether you are going on nature trails or riding around town. If you are looking for scenic nature trails or parks, check out the Cady Way Trail, Lake Baldwin Park, Mead Botanical Garden, and Greenway Bike Trail . If you are riding on trails, please keep this etiquette in mind:
- Show courtesy to other trail users at all times.
- Use the right side of the trail except when otherwise designated.
- Respect the rights of property owners.
When you are biking in the city of Winter Park, there are many scenic areas especially around Park Ave and the parks. Additionally, The city of Winter Park is working on implementing a pedestrian and bicycle facility network linking neighborhoods with parks, schools, and activity centers, as well as providing connections with surrounding communities. If you are biking in the city of Winter Park, please keep this etiquette in mind:
- You are responsible for the safe operation of your vehicle.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Give audible warning when passing pedestrians or other bicyclists.
- Ride at a safe speed. Slow down in congested conditions, reduced visibility, and other hazardous conditions.
Winter Park offers a lot for walkers, whether you are looking for a leisurely stroll or taking a brisk walk to the office. Walking is also one of the easiest ways to get your daily steps in. Physical activity doesn’t need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life. Here are some of the benefits of walking:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mood
- Improve your balance and coordination
Taking the bus in Winter Park is easy, safe and fast. There are bus routes in Winter Park for anywhere you are going: Park Ave, Rollins, Full Sail, Winter Park Village, Winter Park Sunrail and more. Lynx bus routes for Winter Park are 1,9,13,443, 313, 23, and 102. For a full list of stops and schedules, please visit Lynx’s website.
When it comes to riding the bus there are a few things to keep in mind that will make your transit smoother and less stressful.
- Preparation: Know Your Schedules and Routes
- Have Correct Change and Passes Upon Boarding
- Keep Yourself Entertained (But Don’t Disturb Others)
- Keep Phone Convos to Yourself or a Minimum
- Don’t forget Hand Sanitizer
Remember wherever you are in transit or commuting to in Winter Park, stay safe and always be aware of your surroundings. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the town of Winter Park. Have a nice ride!